Thursday, July 25, 2013

INSPIRATION FOUND AT A FARM STAND



Sweet Cherries
Elizabeth Johansson
Oil on panel, 8" x 10", 2013


James and I  food shop nearly everyday. Small markets are our favorite places to shop by far.
This being high summer the local fruit and vegetable stands and farmer's markets are rich with selection. The stone fruits, greens, herbs, and now the corn and tomatoes are filling the shelves
and bushel baskets of the markets. All these things and more to cook with making each day in the kitchen a mystery until we enter the market to see what is fresh.

On a recent outing to fabulous farm stand, Lull Farm in Hollis, New Hampshire, I found this basket of sweet red cherries. I kept looking at them. I have painted cherries in the past, so I suppose they are just something that I am visually drawn to. They came home with me. 
James had bought a small, gold framed blank panel for me awhile back. I had been waiting for the right thing to paint, and I had just found it, the cherries.