Friday, March 14, 2014

SHOW TIME !

 After a long stretch of studio time immersed in work I am free  to do other things, like post a blog.
Yes, the topic is my show at Clark Gallery, mostly in pictures, after all, that's what it is all about. So here is a selection of  paintings and drawings from the show.


White Ribbons
Elizabeth Johansson
oil on panel


My first thought was to have the  spools with white ribbons  against a red ground, but as the painting evolved the simplicity of the composition with a white ground was really what I was seeking, or the painting was seeking.




Rainier Cherries
E. Johansson
oil on panel



Sweet Cherries
E. Johansson
oil on panel


I loved the stems when I saw the cherries at the farm stand.





Tea  Kettle
E. Johansson
pencil on paper


I find drawing to be meditative, a quiet and thoughtful state of being.





Chili Peppers
Johansson
charcoal on paper



Ribbons and Marbles
Johansson
pastel on paper


Obviously these spools of ribbons have been a subject that I work with often. It is the architectural  shape of the spools along with the colors and textures of the ribbons that I find so alluring.




Clementines
Johansson
oil on canvas

I used a drawing that I did in Rome as a source for the view outside the window. Look closely and you will see that the view of Rome and it's great pines reflected in a mirror.





Metropolis
Johansson
oil on canvas


As I mentioned, this is only a selection of the work in the show at Clark Gallery, Lincoln, MA.
The gallery website has a more .



Oh, one last image....... a painting that I photographed before it was complete, just so the people hanging the show would have an idea of what it looked like.

I did finish it late in the day prior to the opening.  Here is the photo of it in progress. I was in such a rush I forgot to take another when it was completed!!


Festa
Johansson
oil on canvas

Enough of the cold white and gray of winter, I needed to use a lot of color on this canvas.


The show is up until March 29th, 2014
See it if you can.





No comments: