Friday, January 20, 2017

Dreaming Italy......ICONIC PANICALE


Once again the news from Italy is of earthquakes near Amatrice and a devastating avalanche on Mount Gran Sasso. Our hearts go out to all the victims of both disasters. Many thanks to the rescue workers.

In the States there is a change of power today. On this day, James and I have deep concerns for the future of our country and the world. I feel it is a dark day for our nation. 
My need  to focus on something beyond the events of the day turned my mind to Italy, and Panicale to be more specific. 


This morning I began going through images in and around Panicale. I began to calm down looking at pictures of this place that feels like our "other" home, and to where we will soon return.
  I love the home where we live in New Hampshire, but on this day an escape to the sweet and beautiful Umbria was what I needed.



Bar Gallo

This is a story told more in pictures than words....I am sure that there are too many images, but this is my way of getting through the day, and I feel lost for words. These, to me, are some of the iconic images of Panicale that come to mind when my physical self is here in the States yet my brain wanders around the  hill town, and sometimes at night when I cannot sleep, I take a "mental walk" to the top of this beautiful place......I call this dreaming Panicale.


The Campanile at the peak of the town.



This was taken during a foggy morning walk last spring, talk about dreamy.





A subject of several drawing.





An annual  visit to see the painting by Perugino of St. Sebastian the church of St. Sebastiani.





Meeting up with friends at Bar Gallo. Process anyone?




....or perhaps a Spritz!




 Or wine.....At Masolino's Ristorante, this is called "James wine"!
Bruna cooks great pasta....and everything else for that matter!





A surprise birthday party for James at the home of our friends Katia and Massimo.




Marconi Bottega is one of the markets we shop at everyday in Panicale.









 Spring brings Wisteria.




A favorite corner.




Ingredients for lunch. Eggs from Ruth, asparagus from Katia and local olive oil. The best!




James, Bar Gallo




The clouds over the lake can be monumental at times.




A look at the Medieval arches that can be seen throughout Panicale. There is also evidence of the Etruscans here.




I cannot tell you how many artichokes James and I eat while they are in season here. I can tell you that it is way, way beyond what you can count on our four  hands.






The result of a day out drawing.




Here we are, all smiles.


When the roses begin to bloom it is just the best time to be here.




Another look from Panicale across the plain to Lake Trasimeno and the mountains beyond.




Panicale is alive with color and texture, not to mention wonderful aromas as the fragrance of a ragu wafts through an open window.


Food, wine and friends. A lunch at Sticky Farm made for a perfect afternoon.



 Spring arrives with fields of emerald green and bright red poppies.....






Time painting. Artichokes, Lake Trasimeno, by James Aponovich
This recalls both our passion for artichokes and a view from Panicale to Lake Trasimeno and the mountains in the background.




 Time drawing. A ruin, drawn by James Aponovich






Pots of flowers in our yard.
James and I always make a trip, make that several trips, to the local nursery to fill pots with flowers and herbs. Can't wait to do this again.




Another drawing from a little balcony.




James' Panicale "Studio"




The piazza Umberto I







Off to the races with friends ....Siena for the Mille Miglia!

And to Sardinia to taste the local food and wine.







 And back in Panicale at the Pink Palace.....


And a dinner party!



 Thanks for joining me in dreamland for awhile.


Cin-cin !
ci vediamo presto!


Tante Auguri!
Here is to kindness, peace and hope.
I think we are gonna need it.




No comments: