Tuesday, January 15, 2019

PIP ( Painting In Progress)


WEEK 1

STILL LIFE WITH A WHOLE LOT OF STUFF






SKETCH


James Aponovich
Pencil on paper



Most paintings begin with a vague idea, usually when you are in
the shower. This particular idea, though, came from my 
wife, Beth, " Why don't you paint..."
The concept is quickly sketched onto any paper available, an
envelope, paper napkin, anything. For some reason it is called a 
'Thumbnail' sketch, but I can't recall ever drawing on my thumb.
It then may be developed on better paper.....If one can't wait...I can't



Painting in Progress
ON CANVAS




Looking around the studio, I found a canvas more or less the size I
want. The painting is a 3:4 ratio ( 36"x 48"), or as they say in the
furniture business, 'a four footer', just right for over the couch.
I'll spare you the agonisingly boring technical stuff, let's just say the
drawing is now on the canvas, in pencil.



HYDRANGEAS


These flowers are painted first because they are such a pain to get just
right. Petal after petal. This is an underpainting, that's why the
guy on the left is grey, the rest turning to pink.
Who knows what color they will be in the end.
Now everything is fluid. This is the fun part.



CLOTH


This shows the cloth. This particular cloth is Busatti, my old reliable
Tuscan workhorse. But, as much as I love it, it's another pain to paint.
Now, just take a deep breath and start......

-James Aponovich






1 comment:

Catherine Bast said...

Thank you so much for PIP.
I am so looking forward to seeing the progression of your painting.
What a generous thing for you to do.
Regards - Cathy