Monday, February 6, 2017

ORCHIDS AND O {A Year In Painting}

James Aponovich
A YEAR IN PANTING

LA VITA E BREVE
L'ARTE E LUNGA

As our planet makes it's journey around a star we call the Sun, I make my own journey in paintings. Each week I present some aspect of our shared life experiences through the medium of paint on canvas.


"Old men ought to be explorers"
- T.S. Eliot, The Four Quartets


_____________________________________________________




ORCHIDS AND O




James Aponovich
Orchids ( detail)


When flowers are in bloom, there is no time to waste, so often I will paint them as studies, hoping that eventually they will find themselves in a finished composition. They sit in the studio, waiting. So it was with these orchids, just white flowers on a dark background. Then came O. ( see previous post, Portrait of O).





RIBBONS OF LIFE SWIRLING IN THE WIND

Late in her life, my mother described a dream she had to Beth, ( my mother was not one to talk of dreams). She said she was in a field with brightly colored ribbons swirling  around her. "I have never seen such a thing," she said.
Tibetan prayer flags came to my mind, "she is preparing to die", I said.
 She died a week later.





James Aponovich
Portrait of O
Oil on canvas



So I gave the orchids to my friend, Robert. They are his field of swirling dreams, of what his life is. Now it was time to finish the 'study'.



James Aponovich
Oranges and Lemons in a Metal Basket
Oil on canvas








Copyright 2017 James Aponovich
all rights reserved




{6}




No comments: