Tuesday, May 5, 2020

AN ARTIST'S RESPONSE ( Part 4)



Like most of us, I have been trying to come to terms with
this plague that we are all suffering through. 
I do it with paint.


PAINTING IN PROGRESS


THE GHOST SHIP



Morning Glories ( in progress)
James Aponovich
oil on panel, 16" x 12"


On the Mediterranean Sea during the Summer of 1348
it was not uncommon to see ships under full sail aimlessly
floating wherever the wind blew them.
Their crews were all dead....from the Plague.
Try to board and claim salvage? You will certainly join them.
So what does this have to do with a painting?



Morning Glories ( in progress/ detail)


Well to me, there is something a bit ghostly about the beginning
of this painting of Morning Glories. Sometimes if I know
I'll not be able to finish a painting 'in season', I'll sketch the
composition in pale earth colors and wait until next (this)
year for flowers to bloom.
We'll see how it goes.








No comments: